For the assignment, I began with the basic form of a Radiolarian. Radiolarians (also radiolaria) are amoeboid protozoa that produce intricate mineral skeletons, typically with a central capsule dividing the cell into inner and outer portions, called endoplasm and ectoplasm. They are found as zooplankton throughout the ocean, and because of their rapid turn-over of species, their tests are important diagnostic fossils found from the Cambrian onwards. Some common radiolarian fossils include Actinomma, Heliosphaera and Hexadoridium.
Basically, it's one of the smallest cells imaginable.
After researching micro-Marine Biology, I came across German biologist Ernst Haeckel. He is well known for his illustrations of numerous Radiolaria. From one image of one cell, I began the process of pattern making.
Ernst Haeckel's illustration of Radiolara : Rhizosphaera

The cellular image I chose
Simple preliminary pattern making :: Basic repetition

Cropped image :: Manipulated

Pattern created from cropped image :: Reflected vertically, then both horizontally.
Complete pattern

No comments:
Post a Comment